Sheridan Cemetery is a place of memories. Each stone represents a life that was involved in family, community and society. The cemetery represents the history of families who want to honor and respect their loved ones. The memories that are perpetuated in Sheridan Cemetery provide each of us with roots to our past, our present and our future.

     Sheridan Cemetery began as a family cemetery. John Long, Sr. and his wife Rachael lost their daughter, eight year old Loda Long, to sunstroke in June 1858, and she was buried on the family property. This family cemetery was used for the next twenty years for other family members. This tract of land became known as Long’s Reserve. John and Rachael Long donated 3.5 acres of their land to be used specifically for a cemetery which was located directly east of the original family cemetery. On November 28, 1879, the cemetery association was formed. The cemetery became known as Sheridan Cemetery because of its proximity to the town of Sheridan. In 1882 the towns of Sheridan to the north and Calvert to the south became the town of Auburn: however to this day the cemetery is known as Sheridan Cemetery.

     It became necessary to purchase surrounding land to accommodate the needs of the area residents. In 1956 the last available piece of land was purchased to form what is now the current Sheridan Cemetery. In 1972 the association purchased 15 acres from Rudolph and Elda Rogge to provide additional cemetery space. This is known as Sheridan West and is located on the south side of highway 136 approximately ½ mile west of the original Sheridan Cemetery.

     Sheridan Cemetery is the final resting place for over 8,000 persons, beginning with the first burial of Loda Long in 1858 and continuing to the present day. The cemetery is home to the Esther Chapel dedicated on November 4, 1904: a WWII Veteran’s Memorial and a Civil War cannon. Many different types of tombstones can be found, from the lavishly ornate to the very simple homemade stones. Like most of the cemeteries in the past, there was an area for “Paupers” (a number of unknown people are buried there), along with local people who were unable to purchase a space. This area became known as “Potter’s Field” with only a few of these graves marked by headstones.

     Sheridan Cemeteries represent an attic room of memories. They are filled with golden memories; a lamp of love and thoughtfulness we carry with us constantly; a picture of the happiness and sadness that we have known together; an umbrella of respect and trust; roses of remembrance that are bound securely within each of us. The Sheridan Cemeteries represent those memories and even though they are gone, they live in our memories. In the Sheridan Cemeteries these memories are perpetuated through our respect and honor of our dearly departed.

Website managed by bCom Tech Solutions © 2018 Sheridan Cemetery    All rights reserved. Log-in